Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Gettin' crafty with it!

This is going to be a long one so if you are not interested in hearing me blab you can just scroll, scroll, scroll, keep scrolling and see some pictures from the past few days. Otherwise...

...I am apparently getting really bad at this blogging thing:) I do have the excuse that we're in the middle of getting ready to move and I have two small children right? Anyway, it's been a while and a lot has happened since I last posted. For starters I've been gettin' crafty lately! I'm so excited about the new house that I've actually been doing a few things here so that when we move in I can focus on unpacking instead of running to the store for things that we're going to need in the new house that we don't have room for here. That being said there is a very small path to walk on in the condo since I've filled up the place with things to move to the new house:) Have I mentioned I'm a bit impatient and an organizational/neat/clean freak? Well- I am, that's why this condo is crammed full of stuff for the new house-hey, we aren't moving it, it's all being done by the company and they have a semi for crying out loud-so I say the more the merrier:) I've still got 26 feet of ceiling to cram stuff up to.

Okay, back to the crafting... I had my eye out for a table and some chairs for the girls' playroom and found an adorable set made by Ikea at the SA for a very reasonable price. I was good though-I saw it and actually left the store without buying it to make sure it was what I wanted. Then I got up the next day and went straight to the SA and bought it! I'm so glad I did. It's in excellent shape and did I mention it's Ikea????? It was a natural color which I'm not a fan of so I (with some help from Brandon and Madison) painted it white and it-looks-amazing!! I'm so happy with the way it turned out. Madison likes it too. She insists on eating her meals there at her (she means their) table, we're working on sharing. I have posted pictures of it below. I forgot (or was too impatient) to get a picture of the entire set before I painted it but I did get one picture of the chair so you can see what it used to look like.

Since the girls are going to have their own rooms I am trying to accessorize!! I think I am more excited about them having their own rooms than anyone! I mean, I get to decorate two little girls' rooms-how fun is that!? They already have really adorable linens and curtains I just need to add a little here and there. I started with making them each a memory board and they are so cute!! One of my new favorite blogs-I Heart Naptimes with Chocolate Sundaes- had a tutorial on how to make a memory board and as soon as I saw it I made a list and headed to Hobby Lobby. I love that store! Before I go I MUST have a list and as soon as I walk in the door I have to put my blinders on and only look for what I'm there for or it's really bad. Luckily this time I went about a half hour before they closed so the lady on speaker phone telling shoppers (me) they were minutes from closing really sped the process up. Below I have described how to make the memory boards in case anyone wants to make one for themselves!

The other project I have been working on is storage for the girls' playroom. Right now we keep all of their toys in a quilt chest in the living room but since they are going to have an actual playroom I will be putting that nice piece of furniture elsewhere in the house leaving them no storage for all those toys. I wanted to do some sort of cube storage with cute little baskets/bins to put the toys in but it was getting pricey just thinking about it. Luckily when I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond I came across these cute (cheap-clearance cheap) cube organizers that came with TWO pink bins too. I got the last two AND used my BBB coupons and got a heck of a deal. Now for the cute little bins... A good friend of mine, Meagan over at the Schmidt Family Blog, had this wonderful idea of turning old diaper boxes into storage bins with scrapbook paper and some Mod Podge (my new best friend). So I decided to try and spend as little on this project as possible and did a darn good job. I guess having two girls in diapers is good for something? It was really easy and they turned out great. From now on we will be saving every box we get and they will be turned into something cute, you have my word:) I've posted some pictures below to show you just how easy it is to make them... and to show off their new little storage cubes. I wanted the playroom to be very bright and colorful-I think I accomplished that, what do you think? Thanks for the idea Meagan!

My mom and dad bought Madison a rocking chair last year and now that little Allie has joined the family they wanted to get her one as well for her room. It came yesterday and I think Madison is more excited about it than anyone-she loves that she and Allie have matching chairs and tells me all about how Allie can sit in it when she gets bigger:)

Well, a book later, I think that just about wraps up everything I wanted to talk about. I hope you enjoy the pictures... they are with my new camera which I am in love with! If everything continues the way it has I'm sure I'll post more in like a month-no really it's about to get REALLY busy now that we're talking 14 days until we pack it out of this wonderful state of Colorado. I will try my hardest to get in another post before we leave but no promises:)

Paint for the table and chairs

Before

Madison helping me

Finished and LOVING it! I'm thinking about Mod Podging something on the back of the chairs like ABC on one and 123 on the other, what do you think?

Supplies for the memory boards:
Staple gun, ribbon, hot glue gun, exact-o knife, brads, fabric, batting and a frame. I bought a frame and took the glass out but make sure you keep the backing.



First I cut the backing off so I could work with it. Then I cut batting to wrap around the backing and staple. Next, do the same thing with the fabric. After that you will measure and cut ribbon according to how you want them to lay, then simply lay them across the board with the ends wrapping around the back and hot glue them to the backing. Lastly put the finished product in the frame and viola you're done! Cheap and easy-but very, very cute! (Sorry for the lack of pictures throughout the project I was on a roll and forgot.)

Allie's finished board, I painted her frame white since that's what will go best in her room.


Madison's finished board!




Now we start the boxes...
First find your box and fold in the sides and tape them down with duct tape on the inside (I used shipping tape because that's all we had but really recommend using duct tape).

Other materials...
Scrapbook paper 12x12 (size depends on how big your boxes are but you're probably going to have to cut it to fit the box).
Mod Podge, I used the original glossy finish.
Spray paint, When I finished I spray painted the inside of the box so it looked better and less like a diaper box:)
After you fold and tape your flaps put a layer of Mod Podge on the side you are working with then apply the paper. Fold over the top to the inside of the box, make sure you put Mod Podge inside too so it holds the paper. Once you have your box covered in the paper you have picked then go to town brushing the entire outside and the inside where the paper is folded over (you don't have to do the complete inside of the box) with your Mod Podge. Make sure you do the bottom of the box with paper and Mod Poadge as well, this will make the box shiny and durable.



Finished box, I personally think this diaper box looks a lot better this way and it's really sturdy for whatever (well, not dumbbells or anything) you want to store in there!

The storage cubes and cute boxes! I bought two sets of these pink cubes but didn't want to set the other up since we are really running out of room. I just wanted to make sure I liked it that's why it's set up, but hey since it's up...

The two pink bins in the hutch came with the cubes I just have them there for now. I will be using them for all of the toys that are crammed in a closet now and the ones stored in the bottom of the hutch.

Rocking chairs from Gran and Tetty!


And now some pictures of our adorable little girls



Allie is scooting all over the place, you put her down in one spot and she's across the room in no time. I think she will be crawling soon!

Madison putting a diaper on her bear, she did a really good job!


Allie is drinking from a sippy cup now. She took to it the very first time!


Me and Allie in our pajamas and me in all of my no make up-ness




LOVE this picture!

Madison is becoming quite the artist





Happy girls!

For all of you that made it this far... I applaud you, thanks for hanging in there with me!

blog sig

No comments: